06 February 2009

First post in 2009 and a future project

My goodness, it is February 2009 already?!? How time flies. 2008 has been a good year, and prospects of 2009 looks exciting. What have I done other than my job? Played soccer to stay fit and joined this facebook society called Singapore Malay Film Society founded by Isnor. Fun stuff. I made lots of new friends, got involved in short films (and learning more stuff than ever about production), and was even interviewed on tv (my malay sucks. speaking 100% malay on tv was really tough. All thanks to the producer and crew for being so patient).

2008 has been very generous to TDC. It won audience favourite in best of First Takes 2008 and hopefully, its success will allow me and my smartmat Films team to embark on a more ambitious project we have in mind for 2009. I am excited because I got to know this wonderful director, Adrianna (a.k.a Nat). She is Isnor's friend and she made her first short film titled 'Videotape' last year. It was about a man having an alter ego. The story shows how he suffers from/embraces/understands/realises his sickness... at the expense of those around him of course. Though a bit artsy for mainstream audience (personally, i liked the story. I did, especially, enjoy the bed scene in the first few minutes. *wink*), Nat enjoys portraying an individual's inner self conflicts. In other words, deep. More impressively, the poetic narrations in the story is created by her. I like this sort of self conflict and deep thoughts in a story because it challenges the audience's minds. Rather this than brainless harold n kumar stories (i love harold and kumar but i feel that audience should sometimes watch 'stimulating' movies once in a while... mmm...there's a movie called Doubt coming soon that looks interesting. Wonder if I can trick someone into watching it with me... And there's the curious case of Benjamin Button. If it is compared to Forrest Gump, it must be good...Ok, I'm going off topic...).

So yes! I am excited that Nat is on board in our next project along with me and Jasmin (Farid's best friend in Tak Dong Cheng). She will add a whole new dimension to our story. At first, we had two stories in mind; one was feasible, achieveable and can be completed by 2009, the other is more ambitious but we love the storyline. We settled for what we loved of course. hehehe. We have already decided on the title: 'My First Lipstick'. It is a love story between a gurl and a guy (duh). The special thing about it is, just like Nat's short film, our gurl in lipstick has bipolar (a sort of split personality disorder). At the moment, I am still writing the story treatment. We welcome anyone who wants to help out in our journey :)

Join Singapore Malay Film Society: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=16987756594

Oh, I want to share my first 24-hour-no-rest-but-very-fun shoot experience but I'll keep it for another post.

No comments: