18 May 2009

My DIY dolly - and the difficulties in making it



I was excited to join the annual
48 hours short film competition for 2009. No, not because I enjoyed staying awake for 48 hours and pulling my hair out planning for the competition and production itself. One reason why I wanted to join was that there were more people who wanted to learn about filmmaking. This event would give them a good starting experience. In the end, I was glad that everyone enjoyed themselves and the friendship formed was well worth the tiring 2 days. I'm sure that all participating teams will agree that the experience gained is much more valuable than any awards won.

I also wanted to join 48 hours because I was in the mood to make a dolly - I just needed a reason and place to test it out. As the above pics shows, a dolly is a sort of trolley on tracks. It is widely used during filming cause it gives that cinematic, flying-thru-the-environment shot. Hollywood uses it intensely (along with cranes) and I have to admit, the difference in a scene is obvious with
and without these equipment. And you have to give it to the Americans. They can custom built anything. And of course, these indie filmmakers are willing to share that information on the Internet. If you google or youtube on how to make dollies, you will find numerous suggestions from many enthusiasts. So being the budget filmmaker that I am, I thought it would be cheaper to make my own dolly for use. The problem was, I had no skills in making one. Theory is one thing... making it hands on.... I am lucky that my bro-in-law, Zul, had the technical knowledge and interest to help me with this project. So we went about it. I researched on the functionality of a dolly while he thinks of the best way to build it.



You can find more information on dollies at the following website:

Picture link: http://www.queenpictoria.com/m&r/24MobiTrack/24MobiTrack.html

Forum link: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=36236

Trolley link: http://www.stormforcepictures.com/howto-buildacameradolly.php

To me, I had to get 4 things right. The wheels section need to function well. The tracks had to be smooth enough so that camera movement is not jerky. The base must be strong enough to hold a person and equipment. Lastly, it must be portable. Have to say, I am very happy with the end product. I did throw the portability aim out the window very early in the project. Maybe I dont have the knowledge, Singapore dont have the resources or I just didnt know where to look, in order to make it portable. The main mission of course, was to make it work!


I decided that I needed 2 two-metre tracks! Once I had the dimensions down, I went to a metal shop (at any industrial area like Eunos or Payar Lebar) and asked them to custom-make it for me. They will provide the metal and welding services. Zul then went to purchase the things needed to build the dolly. I was bent on skateboard wheels because from research, it provided the smoothest traction.. which it did.. at a cost! Not a skateboard person, I was really surprised at the cost of those little devils. 67 bucks for 4 wheels. I needed 16! Oh well, cant stop now. The project is in motion. I have to say, Zul is technically gifted. He drilled and joined those pieces together effortlessly. By competition day, it was done. And it worked like a charm.


Further improvements are needed. I couldnt smoothly join the 2 two-metre tracks together. So the dolly can only travel about 1+ metre. I want it to go further. Also, I have to make the metal rust proof by sandpapering and spray painting it. I should also make the dolly nicer by laminating and possibly adding an anti-slip mat on the base. For now, I am quite satisfied with my functional DIY dolly. Oh, you can see the dolly at work in the trailer below.


No comments: