07 September 2008

Chris and his acting experience

Chris had acted in several short films of different genres and in TDC, he acted the lion dance teacher giving guidance to Farid and Jas.

I met him when I was helping another director fren, Vik on a short film titled 'The Prize'. From 'The Prize', I saw that Chris's acting was natural and not forced so when I wrote the script for TDC, it was with him in mind. Chris also turn out to be a very fun actor to work with - the whole team enjoyed ourselves on set.

So what makes Chris go into acting and what are his tips for actors out there? Here is what he has to say...






1. We know that you have a full time job and acting is a weekend activity. What motivated you to take up acting?
I was actually 'forced' into my first acting role by a friend who was directing a play. Being an introverted person by nature, it was with much hesitation that I agreed to let myself be in such a situation where too many eyes would be watching me and judging my talent (or lack of it). However, I found myself liking the process of getting into character and reflecting on how I would react in the context of a scene. Acting allowed me to explore a more sensitive and creative side. In contrast to the mundane daily life, acting called for emotions one would not normally encounter (I mean how often do you have to react to a dead girl on the floor with butterflies lying around her). The fun and challenging part about acting is expressing an emotion so as to communicate it accurately to the audience.

2. Tell us your most memorable moment while acting.
Many fun moments on set. But a unique experience was when I got to drive an old MG. I'm not really a car fanatic but having not driven for over ten years and then suddenly getting behind the wheel of an antique car was no less thrilling *Vroom!*. Especially since I was not expecting to drive. You see, I was totally rusty and the owner was really protective of his car. We have to put the car on free gear while someone pushed from behind to look like I was parking the car. And then there was the scene where I drove off. We decided to have the owner wear my clothes and he himself drive the car away till he said "Aiyah..you drive la". Gulp...I need a refresher course! This uncle is gonna crush my skull after I crush his car. So I asked him to sit in the car with me as I stepped on 3 million horse power (I told you I'm no car fanatic). He had to stoop low under the door to hide from the cameras. I think I almost ran over the director.

3. In the future, what kind of roles/characters would you want to try? Why?
I'd like to try complex characters. Characters that are hard to figure out, quirky and somewhat dysfunctional, and with a darker side (shaken not stirred?). Why? Hmm...maybe I'm a bit of all that myself? Haha. I think it'll be fun to play because you can be creative and out of the ordinary when you play...well... out of the ordinary characters. Think Johnny Depp kinda roles. I'd also like to play villians, I don't get to be villianous usually. Its fun to be bad.

4. How do you get into a character? Any rituals before acting? hehehe.
I don't really have a method of gettting into character. I just ask myself how I would react if I was the character and just make believe I am in the moment when I hear "ACTION!".

5. What is a difficulty you faced while acting in TDC?
As for all roles I play, I constantly struggle to let myself go when acting. I tend to be a little selfconscious still. Its kinda like 'double acting'. First I need to overcome being shy in front of the camera then I have to act out the scene. Generally, TDC was without much problems. One of the challenges was speaking 3 different languages, 2 of which I don't use that much.

6. What is your advise for actors going for their first audition?
Don't give up! Ha ha..cause you're probably gonna be very nervous and not nail it. After that you'll feel like you can't make it as an actor. But if you really like it, don't give up.
And try to learn the script, I have sat on the other side of an audition and it really doesn't reflect well if you go in unprepared. It'll also allows you to act more freely without the script in your hands.

7. Any other wise words for all those local aspiring actors out there?
I'm still searching for them myself. I am after all, still aspiring. But what I can say is, do it for the love of acting.

No comments: